Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Computer Woes

Being on a Korean server has caused some problems with our Windows upgrade. Hopefully, we'll get it fixed this weekend and I'll be able to put some new photos on.



In the meantime we've been busy doing the same ol' stuff. On Sunday the boys and I went to Seoul to visit a friend who was vacationing here in Korea. It was great to see Terry and have her meet the kids. She hasn't seen Ryan since he was about 2 weeks old in New Mexico. The subway system here is crazy and completely unaccessable for strollers (and wheelchairs for that matter, though I've not seen a single handicapped person yet). What should have been about an hour and a half round trip from the hotel to the zoo somehow turned into 3-4 hours. The kiddos were troopers though and had a great day at the zoo. Heath worked all weekend....again. He is doing great in his job and is working on several high profile projects. We're definately looking foward to a change of pace in Arizona where he should be on a more normal schedule again.



Ryan is so ready to be in school, but we decided to wait until we get to Phoenix to put him in a program. He can now read literally anything, which is exciting and dangerous. I can't email around him because he reads over my shoulder and has even corrected a spelling mistake. Talk about bruising my ego! He has learned addition and subtraction over the summer and has recently started asking about '5+5+5'......I'm not prepared to teach a 4 year old multiplication. At this rate I won't be able to help him past 3rd grade math! He is so excited about everything and is full of questions.....all the time! He is turning out to be a great little helper around the house. He loves to help me clean and has even started to play with Will, sometimes. He likes to push the stroller when we go out, though temptation gets the better of him sometimes and I've had to back Will out of corners, save him from rolling down the sidewalk ramp, and explain to Ryan why it's not a good idea to park Will in the bathroom while we go to the store.



I'm finding it difficult to keep him (and Will) entertained here. Aside from the pool and outdoor playgrounds there is really nothing to do outside of Seoul. And, since it's either raining or insanely hot, the playground is only good for about 30 minutes!



Will is a crazy, adventurous, sweet little boy. He is absolutely fearless, which terrifies me! He has learned to make a run for it out of any open door. The good news is that his 'run' is more like high stepping in place so I can still usually catch him. Plus, he's not that sneaky as he squeals with delight over his freedom! He's turning out to be as much of a talker as Ryan and has started to string together some words........one of them is usually "NO", his new favorite.



I have actually started to feel the baby move in the past couple of days. It's usually at night when I lay down. I guess he wants to make sure that I know he's still there. It's becoming harder to forget as everyday my pants are getting tighter. I'm having to resort to the rubber band trick on my jeans and hope that the clothes I ordered will be here soon! Our next ultrasound will be in about 4 weeks. This one should determine (or rather confirm, as Heath puts it) whether or not this baby is another boy, like we suspect.

The boys and I are coming to CA on November 3rd to hopefully get the ball rolling on finding a place to live in Phoenix before Heath gets home. We are really looking forward to getting out of here. The hardest part, believe it or not, has been the mosquitos which somehow get into the house and find our children. It is becoming unbearable to wake up to find new bug bites on Ryan and Will or see mosquitos hovering in our living room. Izzy is suffering, too and has chewed down to the flesh on her legs. I really don't know how much more I can stand. September 25th is Chusok - Korean Thanksgiving - it's also when they harvest the rice. Our house is surrounded by rice fields so I'm expecting terrible bug problems when they disrupt the fields but hope that they will quickly die away afterwards with the cooler temperatures.

Chusok is supposed to be the biggest 'migratory' holiday in the country. We've been advised not to go anywhere for road and subway congestion is epic. The normal hour drive to Seoul, they say, takes 5-6 the weeks prior and after.....which means we'll be hanging out around here for Heath's birthday.

If anybody has made it this far into this post - thanks! I just realized how long it was! Next one will be shorter with more pictures, I promise!

No comments: