

Today is Korean Independence Day. I wished my Landlord a 'Happy 15th of August', relating today to our 4th of July. He looked at me and said, 'Today is not a happy day'. I thought he meant it more a somber day of rememberance. What he meant, however, was that many Koreans still feel that they did not win their own independence. In his words, today is the day that America won freedom for South Korea. 'America is the greatest nation in the world', he said. As I scrambled to strap the kids in the car and hurry off to swimming lessons I pondered his explanation. I thought about my reality - temporarily living here, feeling sorry for myself because of the heat, strange food, language barrier, not having any of my 'stuff', grumpy because our water was shut off for the 2nd time this week due to road construction. Then I thought about their reality - living in a very real fear of North Korea, grateful for America's support and defense but perhaps hopeful for a truly independent state, wondering the fate of their families if and when our troops really do leave. I felt ashamed for taking my husband's service for granted, for complaining that he had to night fly 3 times last week and I had to feed and bathe the kids by myself. What he does here is important; it matters, and it keeps people safe. Others appreciate him. Knowing myself, I'm sure I'll continue to complain about being here BUT I am glad for this expereince and proud of the job Heath does.
1 comment:
I love this post. It is so well written!! You should think about being a commentator for a newspaper or magazine. It shows your sensitivity and acceptance of your own world's reality. Love it!!
Post a Comment